Sunday, November 13, 2011

The Sixth


This project was inspired, of course, my Pinterest. Here is the original post.

And here is how I did it.

Using a shadow box and 12x12 paper that I cut down, I created a Christmas decoration that I love! First I took apart the shadow box and looked at it. I have never used one before so I wanted to make sure I knew how to put everything back in when I was finished. I then used a paper cutter to cut everything down to size.
Next, I used my circut machine to cut out the letters Merry Christmas. I was very excited when I realized one of my fonts had this already programed so that is connected together. (My next purchase will be the cd that allows you to string any words together-it is $50 so I am waiting for it to go on sale.)


The original post talked about putting the words on the inside of the frame, which I thought was a great idea. So, I put tape on all the letters (this was the hardest part, since I knew that if any of the tape pieces were hanging off the letters, they would show since I was taping to glass). The picture below with my finger was taken to show you the tape pieces. They are from a scrap-booking pack and come in a long strip. You can either leave them together (like if you are gluing a picture down or you can take them apart-they are less than 1 cm wide). So, I taped all my letters then realized that I was taping on the wrong side (the back side) if I wanted to put it on the inside of the frame. So there went that idea. It still worked anyway and since I don't have children (unruly dogs don't count), I think I'll be okay.



Next I took out all the ornaments and placed them in the shadow box. When I first looked at the project and decided to try it, I didn't realize that she used bells in her picture-hence the "Jingle All the Way". Opps. I bought red balls to go into it. Oh well. I still love how it turned out. The pack I bought was from Target and had three different types of balls in it-shiny, dull and glittery. I hate weird textures, so I didn't touch the glittery ones (they are in the picture below still in the pack). I only used the shiny and dull ones-I put about 20 in the frame. I thought it would be neat to have different sizes, but then realized the bigger ones wouldn't fit when I put the back on the shadow box. You can see the size difference below. I took them back to Target. I also cut off all the strings that you use to hang the ornaments.


Finally, I put it all together, put the backing on the frame and voila! I had a great Christmas decoration. I did have to take the back off several times to get the balls to sit right. They don't move around once I have the back on, so some were hanging above the pile. But once I got the all together and put the back back on, it turned out great.


This project turned out to be one of my favorites that I have done. I have already bought more supplies to try it again. I love this one!

No comments:

Post a Comment